Friday, October 21, 2011

Waiting for Weight Loss

Man, oh man it has been a crazy few years for me.  Four years ago I got pregnant with my, now, three year old.  She is beautiful, fantastic and another testament that I am the luckiest person I know.  One year ago, I began running and just FINISHED my first marathon!  I will cherish my marathon experience forever and it is an accomplishment I am very proud of.  Although I would never return my child (most of the time) or running experience, they have influenced a 50 pound weight fluctuation over this four year time span.  To sum it all up, a 45 pound weight gain with pregnancy, a PROGRESSIVE three year return to my "normal" weight, and a ten pound weight gain with this marathon.  The "bright" side?  I have a lot of pants in a wide variety of sizes.  The down side?  I'm sick of this.  So, regarding the subject of weight loss....(sigh).  You?

My experience with weight gain, loss and maintenance may sound somewhat familiar to you but it is very likely different from you own.  We all have our own struggles, perception and interpretation of our own personal body weight.  As I struggle myself, I am reassured by the following facts.
1. Weight is determined by a million factors.  Some factors include physical activity, sleep, genetics, presence of chronic disease/illness (and their associated medications), age, gender, stress and nutrition.  A long novel could be written on each of these factors and their significant impact on weight.  Thinking of your weight as an enormous puzzle with several pieces would be accurate.  When people come to me with weight loss needs, I urge them to think about these pieces and choose goals related to any one of them they feel can be modified at the current time.  Some are unchangeable (i.e., gender, genetics, age) and some can seem impossible to modify at the current time (e.g., sleep, stress).  Food is a logical choice and it is a big piece, but just one.

2. So about the food piece.  I believe what you eat today is important.  However, your eating PATTERNS over the past several months, last year and the last decade is equally, if not more, important.  There is a fair amount of research regarding the theory of "metabolic memory."  This theory has been applied to weight management and chronic disease such as diabetes.  One study examined the effect of starvation and subsequent re-feeding on weight gain (1).  Researchers compared two groups: a starvation group and a non-starvation group.  They provided a "refeeding" meal to the starvation group and the same meal to the non-starvation group.  The starvation group gained weight where the others did not.  The weight gain multiplied when subjects endured multiple periods of starvation and re-feeding.  This study suggests that extreme periods of energy deficit have a lasting impact on future metabolism and challenges the simplistic theory of "calories in = calories out."  We also see this metabolic impact in early infancy.  There is a good body of evidence that demonstrates feeding practices during these early days of life shape metabolism, eating behaviors and influence development of chronic disease in adulthood.   

Simply put, your body and metabolism are very much like a friend who holds an ugly grudge who wont forget about the grief and abuse you have put it through.  Like a good friend, it may hold a grudge, but will ultimately put up one heck of a fight to save you.  This "grudge" is a phenomenal example of our body's survival mechanism.  Unfortunately, for those who have endured an eating history riddled with unhealthy fad diets (including myself), losing weight doesn't happen over a day, week or month.  It can take several months to years of consistent, healthy nutrition for our bodies to forgive us and calm the compensatory weight gain.  Our society and human nature longs for a quick fix or easy solution.  That is why sound nutrition advice such as, "eat three meals per day", "eat more fruits/vegetables" and "use portion control" is not what the majority of us want to hear.  It certainly isn't as sexy as the newest diet plan or the celebrity that is advertising it.  Our today's will be tomorrow's yesterdays.  So the time is now.  Feed yourself several times a day (at least three), don't eliminate large groups of food and for goodness sake do not starve yourself.  Remember that it is the general patten of eating that is important.  One meal, one day or even a few weeks will not fix or sink any ship.

3. Exercise, while a very healthy habit, can be interpreted as "stress" to your body.  It is one of the most effective appetite stimulants.  Our bodies acclimate to any activity level and subsequently determines how much energy it demands (our appetite) and how much it will allow you to spend (our metabolism).  Therefore, my body is prepared for marathon training....but I'm done....when will it realize that?  Unfortunately for me, these extra pounds will probably stick around for awhile until my body re-adjusts to my casual running plan....(another sigh). 

To summarize, eat REAL food, several times, every day.  Treat your body like a good friend: with patience, understanding and loyalty. 

Reference:
1. Szepesi, B. Metabolic Memory: Effect of Antecedent Dietary Manipulations on Subsequent Diet-Induced Response of Rats. I. Effects on Body Weight, Food Intakes, Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase and Malic Enzyme.  Canadian Journal of Biochemistry, 1973, 51:(12) 1604-1616, 10.1139/o73-216.

No comments:

Post a Comment