Saturday, October 1, 2011

Go With Your Gut

I WILL complete this marathon.  I WILL complete this marathon.  I think I can, I think I can, I mean, your coaches think you can...Oh, excuse me.  I was just in the middle of a little self-lecture.  For the past 12 weeks, I have been training my brain, legs, heart, lungs and gut for endurance running.  A full 26.2 miles to be exact.  My first marathon (and very possibly my last).  Throughout my training I have learned that if I take care of myself, most of the time, this body will do what I ask.  I have learned that my body will tell me when to stop and what it needs and, most importantly, that I should listen.  I have learned these lessons the hard way.  Prior to this training, I had only read about nutrition for running and marathon training.  The last 12 weeks have given me some personal experience.  So I thought I would share since I'm fairly, as in completely, focused on running at this point in my life.

Of the several nutrition questions a runner might have, one of the most common is "what should I eat before a long run?"  There is no easy or "correct" answer for all people.  But before I get to that, lets back up to the preceding few days.  I have learned that correcting for energy and fluid deficits the night before a long run is far less than ideal.  In other words, if I haven't fueled or watered myself in the week preceding a long, I should prepare for a difficult run.  Good sports nutrition happens every day and not just the time surrounding a long run.  The "right" meal the night before should be one you are familiar with and know you tolerate well in the time surrounding a long run.  It should be carbohydrate based with some protein and low in fat.  These meals should be moderate in size, while avoiding an enormous load of food.  I enjoy an oversized carb-load as much as the next person, however, I have learned (the hard way) that I don't need, or tolerate, this well and that this will most likely slow me down in the long run.  

The morning of (for A.M running) I recommend runners eat familiar and well tolerated amounts and types of food.  Overnight your liver is responsible for maintaining blood sugar.  Therefore, the tank isn't full and could use some "topping off."  Small meals and snacks can be eaten 1-2 hours prior to running, however, larger meals may be better tolerated 3-4 hours prior.  I personally like eating some fruit and some kind of starch before a long run or race.  But I've spoken with other runners who do well using meal replacement beverages, waffles, toast, sports bars or oatmeal.  The idea is to eat some well-tolerated carbohydrate with small amounts of protein.  Avoiding high amounts of fiber, fat and protein can assist with tolerance while running. 

For running that exceeds one hour, supplementing with carbohydrates during the run can help.  The options are essentially limitless.  I have trialed gels, chews, gummy bears, pretzels, sports beverages, bananas and several others.  I have found supplements that work and others that do not.  My marathon training buddies have also undergone these trials and have found their own mix that works for them and it is NOT the same as mine. In general, sports nutrition experts such as Nancy Clark, MS, RD (Author of Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook) recommend 30-60 grams of carbohydrate for every additional hour of running beyond the first hour.  Any supplement or combination of supplements can fulfill this.  Commercialized sports supplements offer convenience, but are not necessarily nutritionally superior.  Testing out different foods/supplements prior to race day is critical.  My marathon training was training for my legs, but also my belly. 

There is the subject of recovery nutrition and it is IMPORTANT.  However, I will leave that to future posts.  Above all, I am hoping that the emerging theme of this blog post is to advocate that all runners use the general guidelines above to find their own version of winning nutrition.  In other words, go with your gut and run happy.  As for me, I've done the training, I will fuel and water this body, and all I have left is a hope and a prayer that I will get through these 26.2 miles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment